Partnership Proposes Ways to Improve Health Care, Reduce Spending
April 11—A coalition of national organizations with diverse healthcare constituencies announced recommendations to control healthcare costs and improve quality, ranging from shedding the fee-for-service payment system to rewarding states that slow spending growth with some of the savings.
The five recommendations are:
- Transform the current payment paradigm.
- Pay for care that is proven to work.
- Create incentives that increase consumer engagement in care.
- Improve the infrastructure needed for an effective healthcare market.
- Develop incentives for states to partner with public and private stakeholders to transform the healthcare system.
The Partnership for Sustainable Health Care includes America’s Health Insurance Plans, Ascension Health, Families USA, National Coalition on Health Care, and Pacific Business Group on Health. The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation supported the group’s work.
Publication Date: Thursday, April 11, 2013