Hospital Association Releases Guide for Enrolling Uninsured in Health Coverage
July 24—To support California hospitals in their efforts to help uninsured residents obtain health coverage, the California Hospital Association has issued a new guide that outlines key action steps for hospitals.
The document offers background information on the uninsured in California and post-health reform enrollment projections. It also describes the role a hospital can play in supporting uninsured patient enrollment.
In addition, the resource shares eight outreach and enrollment best practices that are currently used across the state of California. Topics covered in the recommendations include:
- Designing enrollment processes
- Optimizing staff
- Providing patient education
- Effectively positioning trained staff
- Targeting vulnerable populations
- Partnering with external stakeholders
- Partnering with vendors
- Assessing the impact of the newly eligible population
Publication Date: Wednesday, July 24, 2013