CMS Updates ESRD Care Model Request for Application
July 31—The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has released an updated Request for Application for the Comprehensive End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Care Model—a new payment and care delivery model announced in late January that is specific to Medicare beneficiaries with ESRD.
According to CMS, the ESRD Care Model aims to improve beneficiary health outcomes and reduce per capita Medicare expenditures through financial incentives for dialysis facilities, nephrologists, and other relevant Medicare providers that work collaboratively to deliver coordinated, high-quality care. More specifically, CMS is testing whether the ESRD model will:
- Improve chronic disease management
- Positively impact clinical outcomes, such as transplantation rates, mortality rates, and disease complications
- Enhance the patient care experience, quality of life, and functional status
- Streamline care transitions
- Reduce emergency department visits, hospitalizations, and readmissions
- Lower total Medicare Parts A and B per capita expenditures
Interested applicants must submit a letter of intent and application no later than August 30, 2013.CMS states that the letter will be used only for planning purposes and the content will not be binding.
Publication Date: Wednesday, July 31, 2013