Perspectives on Cost Accounting
In this HFMA Newsletter Self-Study Lesson, participants will read a case study from HFMA's Healthcare Cost Containment newsletter and learn cost accounting strategies that can drive better bottom-line decisions. The article addresses the reasons why cost accounting strategies fail and describes successful practices, strategies, and techniques.
Participants also will learn the perspectives of two experts on how cost accounting is changing the way hospitals do business. Plus, they will read a case study on Adventist Health’s decision to implement a new cost accounting system. This case study describes the integrated delivery system’s transition from the ratio-of-cost-to-charges methodology to an activity-based costing system.
After this Self-Study Lesson, You’ll Be Able to:
- Identify challenges and opportunities associated with elevating the cost accounting function to a more strategic level.
- Recognize limitations of common cost accounting methodologies.
- Identify three practices, strategies, and techniques that will help bring the cost accounting function to a more strategic level.
- Name techniques that contribute to the development of a balanced and effective costing structure.
- Recognize the characteristics of a multiple relative-value-unit/activity-based costing system.
Newsletter subscribers: Free
Get more with a subscription to any of HFMA's three newsletters: Revenue Cycle Strategist, Healthcare Cost Containment, and Strategic Financial Planning. A subscription includes print issues, online content, and access to self-study articles. Learn more—and subscribe.
Self-Study Lesson Information
- CPE credits: N/A; HFMA newsletter self-study lessons are not eligible for CPE credits.
- Designed for: Healthcare finance professionals who are interested in cost accounting methodologies
- Level: Intermediate
- Prerequisite knowledge: Basic understanding of healthcare accounting and cost accounting methodologies
- Instructional method: Self-study
- NASBA field of study: Management Advisory Services
- Course availability: This newsletter self-study lesson is available for purchase through Oct. 31, 2015. Once purchased, you’ll have one year to finish your lesson.