Certified Technical Specialist: Business Intelligence
Healthcare organizational data has a wide range of uses. Healthcare business intelligence can provide organizations with the ability to use their data to:
- Improve quality of care
- Increase financial efficiency
- Strengthen operational effectiveness
- Conduct innovative research
- Establish strategic directions and monitor progress towards goals
- Identify and manage risk
Useful business intelligence requires people with the capabilities to inspect, clean, transform, and model data with the goals of highlighting useful information, suggesting conclusions, and supporting decision-making. This course presents methods for looking at the right data and using tools to ensure that useful information is illuminated and used to enable powerful actions and decisions in healthcare organizations.
- Recognize the phenomenon called "Big Data"
- Identify the concepts and tools of business intelligence
- Recognize how information for better decisions is derived from large clinical, financial, and other databases
- Recognize the component-cost-service-finance dynamic in the healthcare industry
- Identify the key point of leverage for analytics in the healthcare industry
- Recognize the decision types and analytic tools that are part of decision management
- Identify how data warehousing, reporting and analysis tools, and data systems architecture are used
- Apply the basics of analytical and quantitative skills of BI in healthcare
- Understand and perform sampling
- Recognize the role of business intelligence in stimulating action in the changing healthcare industry
- Recognize how emotional intelligence, leadership skills, and power can create a strong leverage for influence
- Identify the various kinds of leadership styles and power bases
Pricing: $400 (HFMA members & non-members)
Instructional method: Self-study
Advance preparation: None
Recommended Experience: At least 2 years of experience in health care at a manager level or above.
Read additional information about CPEs for CPA licenses and education credits for HFMA certification maintenance.