Controlling Nurse Staffing Costs
As described in this HFMA newsletter self-study lesson, healthcare organizations frequently struggle to control nurse staffing costs. Having too many, or too few, nurses on the schedule can be inefficient.
Participants will read a case study from HFMA's Healthcare Cost Containment newsletter about how the University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System is using predictive modeling and a decentralized staffing model to manage nurse staffing more efficiently. They also will read an article about how SSM Health Care-St. Louis transitioned from a silo approach to an enterprise model of labor management. Both of these organizations have saved millions of dollars with their efforts. Participants also will read about the advantages of temporary nurse staffing.
After this Self-Study Lesson, You'll Be Able to:
- Recognize the value of using data collected from multiple software systems to manage labor costs.
- Name at least five types of data used in scheduling tools based on predictive modeling.
- Identify the steps required to implement a new nurse staffing procedure.
- Identify the pros and cons of centralized and decentralized staffing procedures.
- Name three benefits of using temporary nurse staffing.
Newsletter subscribers: Free
Get more with a subscription to any of HFMA's three newsletters: Revenue Cycle Strategist, Healthcare Cost Containment, and Strategic Financial Planning. A subscription includes print issues, online content, and access to self-study articles for CPE credits. Learn more—and subscribe.
Self-Study Article Information
- CPE credits: 1.0
- Designed for: Healthcare finance professionals who are interested in managing staff costs
- Level: Beginning
- Instructional method: Self-study
- Format: Online
- NASBA Field of Study: Management Advisory Services
- Program prerequisite: None
- Advance preparation: None
- Course availability: This newsletter self-study lesson is available for purchase through Jan. 31, 2015. Once purchased, you'll have one year to finish your lesson.
Get additional information on our guarantee and CPE credits.