Should You Merge or Affiliate?
In this HFMA newsletter self-study lesson, participants will read an article from HFMA's Strategic Financial Planning newsletter that presents a process for evaluating the decision to affiliate. Participants will also review four case studies of hospitals and health systems that chose to take different paths for attaining needed scale. Participants will see which factors influenced the final decision for each organization and explore the benefits gained from the decision to merge, partner, affiliate, or remain independent.
After this Self-Study Lesson, You'll Be Able to:
- Recognize why a healthcare organization would consider an affiliation with another healthcare organization.
- Recognize the steps a healthcare organization should take in deciding whether to merge, affiliate, or remain independent.
- Differentiate between the different types of partnerships.
- Identify the benefits of remaining an independent organization.
- Identify the benefits of a merger.
- Identify the benefits of a collaborative partnership.
Newsletter subscribers: Free
Get more with a subscription to any of HFMA's three newsletters: Revenue Cycle Strategist, Healthcare Cost Containment, and Strategic Financial Planning. A subscription includes print issues, online content, and access to self-study articles for CPE credits. Learn more—and subscribe.
Self-Study Article Information
- CPE credits: 1.0
- Designed for: Healthcare finance leaders interested in learning more about mergers and affiliations
- Level: Beginner
- Instructional method: Self-study
- Format: Online
- NASBA field of study: Specialized Knowledge and Applications
- Program prerequisite: None
- Advance preparation: None
- Course availability: This newsletter self-study lesson is available for purchase through Jan. 31, 2015. Once purchased, you’ll have one year to finish your lesson.
Get additional information on our guarantee and CPE credits.