In this HFMA Newsletter Self-Study Lesson, participants will read four articles about audits and denials management. Case studies will illustrate how three hospitals are preventing denials and successfully appealing denials. In addition, participants will learn how hospitals can safeguard their revenue by initiating an internal audit program.
After this Self-Study Lesson, You’ll Be Able to:
- Identify three strategies for improving collaboration with payers to improve the claims denial process.
- Recognize two ways to develop a team approach to reducing claims denials and improving the appeals process.
- Identify how to develop a process to rapidly and effectively address a claims denial.
- Understand at least three benefits of maintaining detailed claims denial data.
- Identify the benefits of using a dashboard to monitor claims denial factors.
- Name four indicators that can be used during an internal audit to identify where application of resources would produce the greatest financial benefit.
Newsletter subscribers: Free
Get more with a subscription to any of HFMA's three newsletters: Revenue Cycle Strategist, Healthcare Cost Containment, and Strategic Financial Planning. A subscription includes print issues, online content, and access to self-study articles. Learn more—and subscribe.
Self-Study Lesson Information
- CPE credits: N/A; HFMA newsletter self-study lessons are not eligible for CPE credits.
- Designed for: Healthcare finance professionals who are interested in improving their management of claims denials and audits
- Level: Beginner
- Prerequisite knowledge: Basic understanding of the denial claims process
- Instructional method: Self-study
- Format: Online
- NASBA field of study: Audit
- Program prerequisite: None
- Advance preparation: None
- Course availability: This newsletter self-study lesson is available for purchase through June 30, 2015. Once purchased, you’ll have one year to finish your lesson.