Web Extra: A Questionnaire for Assessing the Impact of ICD-10
Assessing the impact of ICD-10 across your organization requires specific information from each department:
- Does the department code health data or use coded data?
- Does the department use retrospective coded data? If so, what is the specific timeframe for use? 1-2 years, 3-5 years, > 5 years? And by whom?
- What are the qualifications or certifications of the staff members performing coding?
- What department information systems hold coded data? What other systems are interfaced to the department systems?
- What software or system vendors does the department work with regularly?
- What is the extent of codes used? For example, are codes used for multiple body systems, or is coding limited to only one or two body systems?
- Are coded data used both internally and externally to your department? If so, outline information dissemination (to/from, uses of data, whether is historical data are required).
- Do department staff require education in conjunction with another department?
Publication Date: Friday, January 01, 2010