Mastering HIPAA describes the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Rule, Security Standards, and Standards for Transactions and Code Sets. The course defines and explains the proper use of protected health information, uses and disclosures, and requirements surrounding authorizations. In addition, this course describes how to implement the HIPAA Standards for Transactions and Code Sets. Safeguards and implementation specifications under the Security Standards are explained. The concluding course follows a patient from admission to discharge to illustrate the application of the HIPAA Privacy Rule.
- Approximate time to complete: 5 hours
- Designed for: Professionals who work with patient information
- Level: Basic/Intermediate
- Instructional method: Self-study
- Format: Online
- An Introduction to the HIPAA Privacy Rule
- Uses and Disclosures
- Transactions and Code Sets
- A Day in the Life of a Patient: A HIPAA Review
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Define protected and non-protected health information.
- Explain when patient health information may be shared.
- Define the minimum necessary rule.
- Explain when an authorization is needed to disclose protected health information.
- Describe which healthcare transactions and code sets are covered by the HIPAA standards.
- Explain how the 837 and 835 transactions are used.
- Identify potential threats to electronic health information.
- Understand basic HIPAA security terminology.
- Explain standards regarding physical, technical, and administrative safeguards.
Course Availability: 6 months from start date.
Refund Policy: Refunds will be granted only for requests made within two weeks of the order date.