Browse by Topic
More than 40,000 members value HFMA's thought leadership and practical strategies. HFMA is where you need to be.
Get acquainted with the
healthcare finance industry's leading professional association. Find out why our
members rely on HFMA as their go-to source for insight and
Members have many
options for helping them advance their careers. Conferences, seminars,
eLearning, certification, and more -- our education and events will keep you
Connect the dots on today's big issues, explore collaborations, get career-boosting tips, and network with colleagues nationwide at the leading finance conference. Save $100 off the full conference rate when you register by May 8.
Real-time presentations with nationally recognized experts, networking opportunities, and industry solutions—no travel required!
Get the latest, practical education in key areas of healthcare finance over 1, 2, or 3 days. Choose Essentials Programs or Master Sessions in DC or Seattle. Register early and save $100.
If you're a subscriber to any of our three newsletters, you have access to online education. Learn more or subscribe.
Get the perspectives of leading healthcare finance professionals on today's hottest issues.
Information about leading vendors helps your buying decisions.
Forum members can network during live webinars or access a library of past webinars on topics such as bundled payment, charity care, and ICD-10.
An ever-expanding collection of spreadsheets, policies, job
descriptions, checklists, and more that you can adopt and adapt.
Forum members can submit vexing questions to a panel of experts
using our Ask the Expert service.
Your source for employment solutions.
Find new employment opportunities or
reach out to qualified candidates.
Distinguish yourself as a
leader among your peers and advance your career by earning certification in our
healthcare finance programs.
Get an objective third-party evaluation of products and services used in the healthcare finance workplace.
MAP App is a web-based application that helps organizations improve revenue cycle performance based on industry-standard metrics called MAP Keys.
Find suppliers and products in this comprehensive vendor directory for healthcare finance professionals.
Guidance for understanding and communicating about the price of health care.
Transformation toward value-based healthcare is reshaping the delivery of care, patient expectations, and payment structures.
Improve your revenue cycle performance through standard metrics, peer comparison, and successful practices.
Use the following self-assessment tool to ensure that you have key processes covered ("yes" is the preferred response for each process). Then, check your performance measures against the better-practice target levels in the performance indicator section.
Health Information Management (HIM)
1. Health information management staff report to the Chief Revenue Officer.
2. Use on-line DRG and APC groupers.
3. Use an on-line, bar-code enabled chart location system.
4. Use an on-line, scanning-enabled HIM records imaging system.
5. Use an on-line or voice-recognition transcription system.
6. Use an on-line clinical abstracting system.
7. Enable physicians to view and e-sign records outside the hospital.
8. Ensure the storage, retrieval, and release of records is HIPAA-compliant.
9. Use an on-line, up-to-date coding compliance system.
10. All coding is done by employees who report to the HIM director.
11. All coding is done by certified coders who are retrained at least semi-annually.
12. All certified coders maintain their certification and CPEs.
13. All coding done is in descending balance order, not first in/first out.
14. All coding done when information is sufficient, not 100% complete.
15. HIM staff receive and discuss denials information provided by PFS or others.
16. HIM staff provide and discuss denials and delinquency information with physicians.
17. Establish an effective tracking system to locate missing records.
18. Have appropriate staffing levels to prevent processing backlogs.
19. Consistently monitor and control Discharged-Not-Final-Billed A/R due to HIM.
20. Perform internal quality-control audits at least quarterly.
21. Have external quality-control audits done at least annually.
Key Performance Indicators
1. Inpatient charts coded, per coder per day
23 - 26
2. Observation charts coded, per coder per day
36 - 40
3. Ambulatory surgery charts coded, per coder per day
4. Outpatient charts coded, per coder per day
150 - 230
5. Emergency room charts coded, per coder per day
190 - 250
6. Chart delinquency greater than 30 days
7. Total chart delinquency
8. HIM "DRG development" D-N-F-B A/R days greater than the late charge hold
≤ 2 A/R days
9. Time to make copies of medical records pursuant to payers' requests
≤ 2 work days
10. Transcription rate per line
8¢ - 12¢
11. Transcription backlog
≤ 1 work day
12. Chart retrieval time pursuant to physicians' requests
≤ 90 minutes
13. Master patient index (MPI) duplicates as a percentage of total registrations
This checklist was based on HFMA's February 2004 audio webcast, "Developing Key Performance Indicators for the Revenue Cycle," by David Hammer, Vice President, Revenue Cycle Management Services, McKesson Information Solutions, and Roland Funsten, Assistant Vice President, Revenue Cycle Operations, St. Vincent Hospital, Indianapolis, IN. Questions or comments may be directed to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Publication Date: Tuesday, August 03, 2010
Brian Kueppers, founder and CEO, Apex, discusses the importance of a robust patient payment strategy in boosting organization revenue and enhancing patient satisfaction.
Brian Grazzini, CFO, HealthPort, describes the importance of efficient and compliant information exchange and audit management in helping HIM staff spend less time on paperwork and more on mission-critical projects.
Cindy Matthews, executive vice president, Community Hospital Corporation, discusses how rural and community hospitals can use collaborative partnering to position for success through tough market conditions.
Rick Heise, senior vice president, revenue cycle, at Cerner Corporation, discusses the importance of integrating clinical and financial data to excel in health care’s changing payment environment.
Dale Hockel, senior vice president of operations, and Jim Fanelli, CFO, TriMedx, share strategies for elevating clinical engineering through innovative management programs.
Russ Graney, founder and CEO for Aidin, and John Laursen, head of business development for Aidin, share insights on how to improve care transitions between acute and post-acute care settings and incentivize high-quality patient outcomes.
Scott Elston, strategic accounts manager, GE Healthcare Services, describes how substantial cost reduction in health care requires rethinking business strategy and asset use.
Robert Williams, MD, director, Deloitte Consulting LLP, and Arielle Freiberger, product strategist, ConvergeHEALTH by Deloitte, explain how sophisticated retrospective, real-time, and predictive data analytics can inform decision making to reduce costs and improve care.
Stuart Hanson, director of business development (healthcare solutions) at Citi Retail Services, discusses how improving the payment experience can benefit consumers and healthcare providers.
Scott Schmidt, vice president, Cerner RevWorks, LLC, shares insights on best practices for maximizing a revenue cycle management partnership.
HFMA's print, email, online, and mobile opportunities provide you maximum reach and impact. We will work with you to build a plan that meets your needs. Contact a sales rep.
HFMA’s Certified Revenue Cycle Representative (CRCR) program advance your revenue cycle proficiency and technical expertise.
Converse and network with your peers around vital topics.
HFMA's MAP App is a web-based application that helps organizations track results, compare data with peers, and improve revenue cycle performance. Schedule a demo.
©2015 Copyright Healthcare Financial Management Association
HFMA.org is best viewed using IE9 or the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
Join HFMA today and enjoy: