What are MAP Keys?
HFMA’s MAP Keys are key performance indicators that set the standards for revenue cycle excellence in the healthcare industry. Developed by industry leaders led by HFMA, these objective industry-standard metrics define the essentials of revenue cycle performance in clear, consistent, and unbiased terms.
Why are they important?
MAP Keys allow you to track revenue cycle performance against your goals and compare performance to peer groups and to the industry as a whole.
MAP Keys eliminate the confusion of varying metrics and dubious comparisons and ensure consistent revenue cycle reporting across institutions and peer groups. Using MAP Keys, healthcare finance professionals can improve business intelligence, strengthen revenue cycle management, and decide—based on industry-created metrics—where to focus for improvement.
HFMA continues to produce new MAP Keys, responding to a changing industry and defining new standards for revenue cycle excellence and physician practice management.
You can put the MAP Keys to work for revenue cycle excellence and physician practice management by:
Doing so can help hospitals and health systems identify performance trends and set priorities for improvement.
Working with your vendors to use the MAP Keys
Vendors can help leverage the use of the MAP Keys to improve business intelligence and revenue cycle process management.
Sharing HFMA’s MAP Keys with peers
The greater the number of healthcare providers that adopt the MAP Keys, the greater the circle of organizations able to compare performance and best identify market-based trends.
Continuing to look to HFMA for KPI advances
HFMA is committed to refining and expanding key performance indicator (KPI) activities. Those organizations that continue to follow HFMA in these efforts will be best positioned to make use of strategies for metric-driven performance improvement.
To develop the MAP Keys, HFMA convened a task force of industry
experts to examine various industry KPIs and other definition sources
for completeness, validity, relevancy, and ability to support
Task force members also participated in a survey to help HFMA
determine which KPIs provide the most value. The task force identified
and prioritized a set of top KPIs that were then vetted with the HFMA
National Board of Directors and members of HFMA’s National Advisory
Each MAP Key includes the following information in its definition:
- Measure: what metric the MAP Key is designed to measure
- Purpose: the utility of the metric
- Value: why the metric is important to track
- Equation: the specifics of how the metric is calculated
The 25 MAP Keys for Revenue Cycle Excellence are divided into four categories:
MAP Keys for Physician Practice Management
HFMA is committed to helping hospitals, health systems, and physician practices achieve the best financial performance. HFMA has developed standard indicators of financial performance for physician practices called MAP Keys for Physician Practice Management. Organizations can use these indicators to track performance over time and to compare performance with peers.
See the MAP Keys for Physician Practice Management.
The MAP Keys Mobile App provides you instant access to all of the MAP Keys for Hospitals and Health Systems and the MAP Keys for Physician Practice Management.
You can also save the MAP Keys metrics you reference the most in your “Favorites” section. Available for iPhone or Android devices.
You can also access the MAP Keys Mobile App by:
- Visiting your app store
- Searching for “map keys”
- Clicking “Install”
What is HFMA’s MAP Keys Compliant Program?
It recognizes information technology products that capture data needed to use HFMA’s industry-standard MAP Key indicators of revenue cycle excellence. The MAP Keys Compliant Program helps providers identify information technology products that support the use of MAP Keys to track, compare, and improve performance.
Why is it important for your product to become MAP Keys Compliant?
- Revenue cycle leaders are asking for it. Hundreds of hospitals adopting MAP Keys and using MAP App ask HFMA: “What products comply with the MAP Keys definitions?” The MAP Keys Compliant Program is the ideal answer for providers.
- Providers are seeking objective benchmarks. Hospital and health system leaders will be confident data they receive from your products can be used to track and compare performance with accuracy, consistency, and efficiency.
- You earn an exclusive distinction. As a MAP Keys Compliant vendor partner, your product will receive prominent exposure among HFMA’s constituents and the industry as a whole.
How will your products be evaluated?
When you submit your products for consideration, HFMA rigorously scrutinizes the source data-capture and data-reporting capabilities of the product. HFMA identifies which specific data elements — and related MAP Keys — the product can provide. Products that provide data complying with the definitions of HFMA’s MAP Keys receive the designation of MAP Keys Compliant.
Each MAP Key requires data that constitute a specific numerator and denominator. For example, to measure performance for the MAP Key “Point-of-Service (POS) Cash Collections” requires data showing point-of-service payments (numerator) and total patient cash collected (denominator). The value indicates potential exposure to bad debt, accelerates cash collections, and can reduce collection costs. To access this data, providers rely heavily on information technology products like yours.
As a MAP Keys Compliant vendor partner, you will:
- Receive the program logo to place on your website and in marketing literature
- Obtain exposure for your business and product on HFMA’s MAP website
- Be acknowledged at upcoming events such as ANI: HFMA’s National Institute and MAP Event
- Submit subject matter expertise that will become relevant content within MAP App such as white papers, tools, case studies, and proven practices
- Co-host — with a provider — a live webinar exclusive to the MAP App subscriber community. The webinar will be archived in the MAP App Community section for optimal exposure
Interested in becoming MAP Keys Compliant?
Contact Paul Bielat, HFMA’s MAP Team Leader, at 877.720.4MAP (4627) or email@example.com.
Read The MAP Keys Compliant Program press release.