Boston Hospitals Treat More Than 175 People After Bombing
April 16 — Three people died and more than 175 were injured Monday after two bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, sending staff at eight local hospitals into disaster response mode to care for the victims, according to news reports.
The Boston Globe reported that Massachusetts General Hospital treated 29 people on Monday, eight of whom were in critical condition, and several of whom required limb amputation. Meanwhile, Brigham and Women’s Hospital treated 31 patients on Monday, while Boston Children’s Hospital treated at least four children who ranged in age from 9 to 2.
Physicians at two hospitals told the newspaper that victims had metal debris embedded in their bodies, but the physicians did not believe the metal came from shrapnel that exploded from the bombs.
Hospitals responded by calling in extra staff to help care for the wounded and putting their facilities on temporary lockdown given the uncertainty of the situation, according to an article from the Boston Globe.
At Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, one emergency department physician told the Boston Globe that staff were shaken by what they had seen in those first hours after the bombing. By 6:30 p.m., when most patients from the marathon had been taken to operating rooms, admitted to other areas of the hospital, or released, many staff wept in response to what they had witnessed.
Publication Date: Tuesday, April 16, 2013