To be successful with value-based contracts, healthcare leaders should take the following actions:
- Work from transformed practice models that use advanced care practitioners and care teams, with everyone at top of license.
- Reinvigorate the health system’s Annual Wellness Visit program and receive the triple benefit of engaging beneficiaries, receiving beneficiary assignment and capturing diagnoses and risk coding.
- Schedule an HCC self-performance audit and conduct a staff refresher course, assess the organization’s chart review program and understand how it is measuring HCC accuracy and its risk score.
- Reduce total cost of care by using a population health platform to identify the health system’s top opportunities and prepare a strategy to address those costs on day one.
- Develop and implement three to five impactful initiatives to deploy for 2020, communicate about the initiatives broadly and stay the course for success.