Identifying problems and challenges is critical to chargemaster integrity. Use these eight tips to pinpoint potential issues:
1. Review billing edits and claim denials for missing or invalid codes. Track the data.
2. Determine when the last full chargemaster review was performed. Quarterly review is recommended but updating more often is required if new materials or services are added.
3. Check to be sure all codes are compliant for use in the current year.
4. Determine if an internal process exists for staff who may discover an issue or edit when entering charges.
5. Examine the item descriptions to ensure accuracy. Look for incorrect abbreviations and match the CPT/HCPCS code.
6. Ensure there is a charge amount or fee for each line.
7. Capture all goods and services by involving each clinical department to make sure all items are reflected in the chargemaster code selection.