As recognized industry leaders, HFMA Fellows act as ambassadors to the profession by raising the standard of practice through consistent participation in professional development activities and service to the healthcare finance industry. Fellows can maintain their FHFMA designation by teaching courses, making presentations, publishing, participating in special interest groups or attending educational events. It's up to you!
Advantages of Becoming a Fellow of HFMA®
Earning the HFMA Fellowship attests to one's financial expertise and leadership. Fellowship is awarded to HFMA members who have demonstrated financial expertise and leadership through the use of personal financial knowledge and skills in voluntary community service. HFMA Fellows recognize and accept the responsibility of utilizing healthcare finance professional skills for community benefit.
Requirements for FHFMA® certification include:
- Hold the Certified Healthcare Financial Professional (CHFP) designation
- Minimum five (5) years professional membership in HFMA (student membership does not count toward this total)
- Evidence of bachelor's or master’s degree
- Letter of recommendation from an FHFMA (active HFMA Fellow), chapter leader or national volunteer, familiar with you/your work on a professional level
- Volunteer activity — demonstrate any one, or combination of the following contributions to HFMA or the industry within the three years prior to applying:
1. Service as an adjunct instructor at an accredited (post-secondary school) educational institution.
2. Service in an education, certification, or leadership committee role within the local HFMA chapter or service on one of the HFMA association boards or committees.
3. Demonstrating a minimum of 10 Hours in the service or preparation of one of the following:
a. Preparation and publication of professional articles in a publication accepted as authoritative in the healthcare industry.
b. Speaking to community groups on health care issues
c. Providing internal staff education on healthcare finance topics
d. Presenting at an HFMA educational program
e. Presenting at a related healthcare industry educational program
f. Assistance to those desiring HFMA certification or fellowship designation
g. Mentorship of healthcare finance professionals
Note: Fellow candidates must meet all the requirements prior to applying.
There are no fees for qualifying All-Access members to apply for Fellow status.
Proudly display your HFMA certification
Your certification is a designation of your achievement and professionalism. HFMA's precision-crafted frames have a stately, prestigious design providing a fitting display for this important symbol of your professional identity. Order your HFMA certification frame.
Press release template: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a press release template if you would like to announce your new designation in your organization’s newsletter or other media channel(s).
For more information about the HFMA Certification Programs, contact the Career Services Department at email@example.com or at (800) 252-4362 and ask for Career Services.