Certified Healthcare Financial Professional (CHFP) or Fellow of HFMA (FHFMA)
HFMA members who have earned either the Certified Healthcare Financial Professional (CHFP) or Fellow of HFMA (FHFMA) designation must maintain their certification every three years by meeting two basic requirements:
- Remain an active HFMA member in good standing
- Complete 60 hours* of eligible education activities every three years
*Effective June 1, 2020, the revised education requirement mandates that continuing education include a 20-hour minimum of HFMA [national/association], regional or local chapter education.
Reporting Your Education Activities
It is your responsibility to self-report your education hours/activities using the Online Reporting Tool. The only educational activities that do not need to be self-reported are activities sponsored by HFMA National for which you have received CPE credit. Access to the online reporting tool is available only to current CHFP/FHFMA certified members; login required. If you are unable to access the online reporting tool, your membership may have lapsed. Please renew here.
Download instructions for using the online reporting tool along with a list of eligible CHFP/FHFMA maintenance activities. This document also includes general certification maintenance information.
See Maintenance FAQs for more information.
Certified Revenue Cycle Representative (CRCR) and Certified Specialist (CS) Programs
HFMA CRCR and CS certificants must maintain their certification every two years. To re-certify as a CRCR or CS, you must take a 50-question online assessment. To help you prepare for the recertification assessment, you will have access to an updated eLearning course. The recertification course materials are available to you for 6-months: December 1 through May 31 (your maintenance/ recertification due date). Information will be emailed to you in advance of your maintenance due date.
Note: Enrollment is available December 1 of the year prior to your due date*.
- Maintenance due date = May 31, 2024
- Enrollment in recertification course available December 1, 2023
*Previously the access period to recertification courses was for 5-months, January 1 to May 31; this was recently increased by 1-month allowing a 6-month access period. Approved by the HFMA Board of Examiners October 2023.
How do I enroll in the CRCR or CS recertification program?
- Access the email reminder received on December 1.
- Click on the link in the email reminder.
- Sign in to your HFMA account.
- Once you’re signed in, click on your account profile in the top right corner of the page and select “My Development” from the dropdown options.
- Select the “Certifications” tab.
- If you are in your maintenance year of eligibility, click on “Maintain Your Certification” to enroll in the recertification program. Only those eligible are able to enroll.
With all-access membership there is no cost for the CS and CRCR recertification program exams . The maintenance fee for non-members is $100 per certification. (Note: HFMA recertification programs do not offer CPE. Time taken to complete recertification programs qualifies as an activity for CHFP and FHFMA maintenance.)
If you have any questions about your maintenance, please email HFMA career services.