HFMA’s editorial team earns 16 awards for excellence
The Winter 2020-21 hfm cover story about deferred healthcare earned an Azbee National Gold Award in the print feature category and the Stephen Barr Award.
So far this year, HFMA’s editorial team has earned a total of 12 awards for articles published in hfm and four awards for episodes of the Association’s “Voices in Healthcare Finance” podcast produced in 2020:
- Eleven of the honors — five national awards and six regional awards — were presented by the American Society of Business Publication Editors (ASBPE).
- Five of the wins were presented by the Association Media & Publishing Network.
“I am always so proud of the editorial content we share with HFMA members via our magazine, daily online news posts, blogs, newsletters and podcasts because I know it is valuable to our members’ careers,” said Rick Gundling, HFMA’s senior vice president of content and professional practice guidance. “The fact that this content has been recognized this year reinforces the value of our content in helping our members stay on top of the news, best practices and trends affecting the financial management of healthcare.”
HFMA was honored with five national Azbee Awards of Excellence, presented by ASBPE at its online celebration May 13:
- National Gold Award – Print Feature
(10 or more issues per year): “Healthcare organizations prepare for sicker patients in 2021 due to deferred care,” the hfm Winter 2020-21 cover story.
- National Silver Award – Q&A: “Hard truths about the state of the healthcare industry,” the hfm January 2020 cover story.
- National Silver Award – Magazine/Newspaper Redesign: The January 2020 issue of hfm, which featured a cover portrait of HFMA President and CEO Joseph J. Fifer and the magazine’s new, easier-to-read redesign.
- National Bronze Award – Podcast: The “Voices in Healthcare Finance” episode, “Election special: As the votes are tallied, we look at what the possible outcomes mean for healthcare.”
- The Stephen Barr Award, which recognizes the best article across all feature writing categories, was presented to Rich Daly, then a senior editor at HFMA, for his cover story “Healthcare organizations prepare for sicker patients in 2021 due to deferred care..
According to the ASBPE Foundation, which distributes the award, “Daly’s article was very timely and offered development on one of the biggest concerns in the health care finance business.”
“Rich is a reporter with a real knack for finding untold stories and was one of the first reporters to shine a light on the issue of deferred care,” said Brad Dennison, HFMA director of content strategy. “I’m really proud of the journalistic ground that was broken with this story and so pleased that ASBPE judges recognized just how special it was.”
Daly, who discussed the award-winning story during the online event, said he was honored by being recognized with the Stephen Barr Award.
Regional Azbee Awards
HFMA earned the following regional Azbee Awards in April, which slated the entries as national competition finalists:
- Regional Gold Award – Print Feature: “Healthcare organizations prepare for sicker patients in 2021 due to deferred care,” Winter 2020-21 hfm
- Regional Gold Award – Podcast: “Election special: As the votes are tallied, we look at what the possible outcomes mean for healthcare”
- Regional Silver Award – Q&A: “Hard truths about the state of the healthcare industry,” January 2020 hfm
- Regional Silver Award – Magazine/Newspaper Redesign: January 2020 hfm.
- Regional Bronze Award – Front Cover Design: “Directing innovation in the supply chain,” November 2020 hfm
- Regional Bronze Award – Podcast: “Telehealth opportunities in oncology, and Stever Robbins shares the secret to tackling email overload”
AM&P EXCEL Awards
HFMA was also honored with five EXCEL Awards from the Association Media & Publishing (AM&P) Network during a June 16 virtual awards presentation.
The AM&P Network awards earned by HFMA staff were:
- Gold EXCEL Award – Digital Media – Podcast: “Election special: As the votes are tallied, we look at what the possible outcomes mean for healthcare”
- Gold EXCEL Award – Magazine – Redesign: hfm Winter 2020-21 issue
- Silver EXCEL Award – Journals – Design Excellence: hfm Q4 2020 editions
- Silver EXCEL Award – Journals – General Excellence: hfm Q4 2020 editions
- Bronze EXCEL Award – Magazines – Design Excellence: hfm Q4 2020 editions
“These awards are great validation for a team doing amazing work,” said Brad Dennison, HFMA director of content strategy. “It’s worth mentioning that in both competitions, we were competing against some big national names, so all the more impressive. We are fortunate to have a world-class editorial team and an organizational culture that paves the way for this level of work. I’m very proud of our achievements and HFMA.”
ASBPE is a national organization whose purpose is to serve and advance the profession of editing for business publications and to encourage the highest ethical standards at those publications.
The AM&P Network unites media, content and publishing sectors across B2B, association media and specialized information publishing.