Sample Job Description: HIPAA Compliance Coordinator
Title: HIPAA Compliance Coordinator
Main Function: The incumbent is responsible for monitoring the Hospital’s compliance with applicable governmental regulations related to the Administrative Simplification elements of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (a.k.a. HIPAA). The incumbent will research available resources and coordinate implementation of this highly specialized and technical information with various clinical, administrative and support departments. A significant responsibility will include the coordination of the Hospital’s implementation of HIPAA’s Transaction Standards, Privacy Standards and Security Standards. The incumbent may also be a resource for HIPAA issues for affiliates of the Hospital.
Responsibilities and Specific Performance Standards
Responsibility Statement: Routinely monitor changes in the applicable HIPAA government regulations. Research and analyze available sources of regulatory guidance in response to specific questions. (weight: 25)
- Consistently monitors available sources of regulatory guidance to proactively address the necessary changes to the Hospital’s HIPAA Compliance Implementation Plan as evidenced by documentation and feedback.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of government regulations that impact the Hospital’s HIPAA Compliance Implementation Plan, especially HIPAA’s Transaction, Privacy and Security Standards as evidenced by documentation and feedback
- Consistently responds in a timely matter to specific questions that impact the HIPAA Compliance Implementation Plan with recommendations that are supported by applicable regulatory and / or Hospital policy guidance.
Responsibility Statement:Coordinates the implementation of the necessary HIPAA procedural and process changes with various clinical, administrative and support departments. Assembles the appropriate resources to determine the applicability of these regulations to the services provided by the Hospital. Coordinate with the appropriate support services (e.g. Information Systems, Legal, Finance, Medical Records, etc.) to analyze the impact and develop the appropriate implementation plan. (weight: 20)
- Demonstrates a strong working knowledge of various services provided by the Hospital to effectively communicate with these departments as evidenced by documentation and feedback.
- Maintains a strong working knowledge of applicable regulatory guidelines to be viewed as a credible resource for the Hospital as evidenced by documentation and feedback.
- Consistently coordinates with the appropriate administrative and support departments to adequately design an implementation plan and analyze the impact of any proposed procedural and process changes required by HIPAA.
- Regularly updates and supports the HIPAA Security & Privacy Committee as evidenced by documentation and feedback
Responsibility Statement: Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of applicable Transaction, Privacy and Security Standards to develop an appropriate implementation action plan. Develop and maintain an appropriate project management process to monitor progress towards achieving the goal of a successful and timely implementation of these HIPAA Standards. (weight: 25)
- Develops and or maintains the required knowledge to implement and maintain the HIPAA Transaction, Privacy and Security Standards as evidenced by documentation and feedback.
- Develops and or maintains with assistance from the appropriate support departments such as Legal and Information Systems the required project management process to implement and maintain the HIPAA Standards as evidenced by documentation and feedback.
- Accurately and thoroughly documents the Hospital’s progress during this implementation phase and reports that progress as appropriate.
Responsibility Statement: Develop and maintain a systematic process to monitor the Hospital’s ongoing HIPAA compliance especially with the privacy and security regulations. (weight: 15)
- Regularly coordinates the systematic reviews of the various departments’ HIPAA compliance status as evidenced by documentation and feedback
- Develops criteria for setting priorities and consistently prioritizes these systematic reviews so as to address the departments with the most significant impact as evidenced by documentation and feedback.
- Accurately and thoroughly documents the Hospital’s progress during this compliance maintenance phase and reports that progress as appropriate.
Responsibility Statement: Develops and maintains in cooperation with the Education department training material and / or courses that will assist the Hospital in addressing these regulatory changes. Inform departmental and Administrative management of significant changes. Coordinate with any external consultants that maybe hired to assist with HIPAA implementation and / or on-going HIPAA compliance maintenance. Provide HIPAA guidance to other hospitals within the Hospital’s System of Care. (weight: 10)
- Prepares and maintains an effective education plan that will assist the Hospital with its HIPAA compliance implementation plan.
- Regularly updates Hospital and affiliates of necessary changes as evidenced by documentation and feedback
- Consistently prepares timely and informative reports to management of the progress and the impact of significant changes.
Responsibility Statement: Conducts special projects as assigned. (weight: 5)
- Consistently performs special projects in a thorough and accurate manner.
- Always gives accurate attention to details.
Must be able to work independently and must have a strong sense of organization and work efficiently under stress. Must be able to meet short deadlines. Must be able to work with frequent interruptions.
Education and Qualifications:
Education at the bachelor’s level is mandatory and an advanced degree is desirable. Five years of hospital departmental or clinic based management experience is required. Must have strong oral and written communication skills, strong personal diplomacy skills and place a high value on treating others with dignity and respect. Must have decision-making capability, ability to work with limited supervision, a high level of motivation and a team orientation. The position also requires a high degree of professionalism, trustworthiness and confidentiality. Must be able to use computerized health information systems; familiarity with Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office products strongly preferred.