As hospital and health systems move further toward developing high-performing employed medical groups, they should consider the following questions:
- Do we need to make changes to physician governance or management to provide greater involvement in decision making and to develop an effective group practice culture that is also aligned with system goals?
- Do we have the correct organizational structure in place to foster the most effective communication and cooperation between administrative and physician leadership?
- Do we have an overall compensation plan for our employed physicians that aligns the need for volume with performance on value-based metrics?
- Do our physicians have the care model, patient access, workflow management, and clinical resources in place needed to align treatment with the needs and expectations of patients?
- Do we benchmark key medical group processes and performance and engage group leadership in continuous performance improvement?
- Do we have consensus on leadership goals for value-based contracting, and a communications plan in place to engage physicians in the process?