Here are some key questions to consider regarding the creation of
systemness within a health system’s revenue cycle:
- Is the organization’s governance or decision-making structure clearly defined and flexible enough to meet the need for rapid change?
- Are there significant differences in performance levels among areas of the revenue cycle?
- Is the vision of optimal revenue cycle performance shared at all levels of the organization?
- Are communication pathways being used regularly and often to inform, direct, and hold employees accountable?
- Do processes and accountability measures vary across the organization?
- Is the organization considering new payment models that require increased coordination between the business areas?
- Is there a clear view of overall payer and vendor performance or root causes of denials?