Chief Accounting Officer (CAO)
Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System
The Chief Accounting Officer (CAO) is a key financial leader, change agent, and close partner to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System (SRHS). The CAO will be responsible for the vision, leadership, strategic direction, and performance of the accounting and treasury functions. The CAO will oversee the design and execution of the financial reporting, regulatory reporting, corporate accounting, tax, payroll, and accounts payable. CAO is responsible for development and implementation of related systems, controls, procedures, and policies for all SRHS business units and related corporations. The CAO will lead accounting policy and ensure compliance with U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), the National Association of Insurance Commissioners’ Statutory Accounting Principles and other applicable rules and laws and will report on and review financial results with SRHS senior leadership. This leader will be responsible for leading a strong operational and business partner-oriented organization and will oversee all accounting data to support management decision-making, ensuring data is accurate and consistent. SRHS seeks a seasoned, hands-on finance executive with the ability to effectively lead and mentor accounting staff. The CAO will work closely with other finance leaders, external and internal auditors, internal customers of finance, and the audit team to develop and implement plans to achieve strong performance in all accounting functions.
Direct reports – Approximately 35 Employees, including an accounting leadership team of two supervisors, two managers, and two directors. The Accounting team includes general accounting, treasury, and net revenue analysts, as well as Payroll and Accounts Payable personnel.
Other key relationships: Executive Management Team Finance, Reimbursement, and Physician Compensation departments Senior Business Leaders External Auditors
Vision & Strategy Set the strategic direction for the development and deployment of financial and reporting processes that ensure compliance and rigor with U.S. GAAP, Statutory Accounting Principles, and any other local accounting standards and the regulatory environment, thereby mitigating risk for the system. Accounting & Controls Direct and oversee the development, deployment, and implementation of all company accounting methods, procedures, and practices to safeguard the enterprise’s assets and properly reflect its financial results. Be accountable for the accurate and timely interpretation of U.S. GAAP and the accurate incorporation of such interpretations into the company’s financial records. Oversee and control the general accounting activities for the enterprise, including recording company transactions, classifications, and reconciliation of account balances in accordance with U.S. GAAP, Statutory Accounting Principles and company policies. Accounting Operations Oversight of the Payroll and Accounts Payable areas, ensuring that all payroll related, trade payables, and other liabilities are paid accurately, on time, and in compliance with policies and procedures and any appropriate governmental regulations. Oversee the development and maintenance of appropriate internal controls related to accounts payable, payroll, fixed assets, and other disbursement transactions. Ensure applicable payroll and n-payroll tax reporting is handled timely as required by government regulations. Treasury Direct Cash Management and forecasting for SRHS. Ensure internal controls over the approval of wire transfers and other cash transactions. Plan and implement cash and investment policies to ensure the maximization of interest and investment gains. Oversight of the policies and procedures related to Investment Portfolio management. Audit Oversee and be accountable for planning and executing several annual audits for the enterprise, utilizing an external public accounting firm. Function as the enterprise subject matter expert and principal point of interpretation on all matters resulting from dealings with external accountants and auditors. Financial Reporting Be accountable for regulatory financial reporting. Accounting Policy Oversee and direct accounting questions and judgments for the enterprise; direct and control all accounting policies.
The successful candidate will be an experienced, hands-on accounting executive with the excellent technical skills, business acumen and leadership capability to lead the accounting and treasury functions in a critical, high-visibility role. This person will have the agility, resourcefulness, multi-tasking ability and thoughtful presence to drive change and operate effectively across SRHS. This executive should have extremely strong reporting and accounting skills, exhibit a proven team leadership skillset, and be viewed as capable of supporting the continued growth of SRHS.
Minimum Requirements Education:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field Experience
- 15+ years of progressive accounting experience in a healthcare system or healthcare auditing firm.
- CPA Preferred Requirements Preferred Experience
- MBA or Master’s in Accountancy
- 5+ years leading the accounting and treasury functions in a large healthcare system.
Executive Talent Acquisition Advisor
WHO WE ARE
With 12 ministries and access points across Indiana and Illinois, Franciscan Health is one of the largest Catholic health care systems in the Midwest. Franciscan Health takes pride in hiring coworkers that provide compassionate, comprehensive care for our patients and the communities we serve.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
- Working collaboration with the Controller, VP Finance, Senior Vice President, Finance/CFO, Divisional CFOs, Operational Leadership, Division and Site Leadership, and other finance departments.
- Prepare and distribute consolidated financial statements and other internal reports in accordance with U.S. GAAP.
- Document and communicate accounting policies according to U.S. GAAP and other required standards.
- Ensure compliance with internal controls.
- Serve as an internal consultant for the System performing research related to a wide range of technical accounting and financial reporting matters (e.g., new accounting standards, accounting/reporting for business transactions for the System and its divisions, etc.) and interface with internal and external auditors on technical accounting treatments and complex financial reporting matters.
- Review, identify, and explain unusual financial statement fluctuations and coordinate corrective action.
- Review and prepare internal financial reports and management discussion and analysis on a monthly, quarterly, and yearly basis and communicate results.
- Condense large amounts of data to a more user-friendly format for senior management.
- Leverage the System’s new ERP system to create new reports and analysis.
- Collaborate with the broader finance team on initiatives including the annual budget, forecasts, monthly/quarterly/year-end reporting, and new report development.
- Continually identify, develop, and implement best accounting practices for the System.
- Assist with and analyze intercompany eliminations.
- Coordinate and manage income tax accounting in conjunction with the tax compliance team.
- Support acquisition/divestiture accounting and reporting needs.
- Manage external and internal audits and liaise with the auditors.
Minimum of 5 years Accounting experience – Required
Up-to-date technical knowledge of U.S. GAAP accounting standards – Required
Certified Public Accountant (CPA) – Required – OR – actively working towards certification
Experience auditing or advising clients on technical accounting matters – Preferred. Ideal candidate has audit experience in large/mid-size CPA firm and experience assessing transactions, establishing accounting policies, and drafting/reviewing technical memos.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field – Required
Master’s degree – Preferred
Compensation based off of experience
How to apply:
Executive Talent Acquistion Advisor
219-877-1602 or email at:
New job postings are placed in this section free of charge. The position will run until it is filled or instructions are received to remove it.
*Disclaimer* The HFMA Indiana Pressler Memorial website provides these listings as a benefit to its members. HFMA Indiana Pressler Memorial is not an employer, recruiter, or advertising agency and assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the postings or for any conditions that may present themselves to job applicants or to people who accept employment at a listing organization.