Two health systems identified the following actions to improve patient financial communications.
North Memorial Health
- Remain transparent about pricing and finance options with patients before procedures take place.
- Balance the health needs of patients with the financial health of the organization.
- Work with patients to help find alternate means of coverage (i.e., Medicaid).
- Stay current on organizational financial parameters.
- Have compassion for patients but keep overall debt resolution in mind.
- Ask probing questions to determine the best options for each patient.
See related article: The critical ‘money conversation’ providers should have with patients